Powered By Blogger

Welcome

This is Stevie's blog, just some stuff' about what I'm up to. I'm not too serious so hopefully we can have a laugh together..........

Pages

Sunday 18 September 2011

Thailand, land of smiles and much more!

Where to begin, so much has happend since we arrived in Thailand and what great people the Thais are. Always with a ready smile and a great sence of humour too. I must also say I've lost my heart here, so much so I've rejigged some plans and come back again for almost a month over December and January. Spending time in both Chaing Mai and Bangkok with some people I've met here in various places after dark, if you know what I mean.
CJ has been talking about arranging a 'gentlemens' night out for ages and finally it was get showered we are going out. I was a bit nervous not knowing what was planned for us but the night started out with real ale and proper bangers n mash....phwoar!
we all went on to a Gogo bar where girls dance rather nicely and this is where young Stevie had a bit of an awakening, left the boys and went out into the dark night on his own..........
After just three quick nights in Bangkok it was an overnight train to Chaing Mai where its same same but different. Its a really cool place and even watched a bit of Mai Thai boxing, absolutly facinating and extremely quick with no replays so if you blink you miss it. The boxers come round after each match with a tip box, you tip what you think the match was worth. I sat facing the ring, beer in hand in a nice comfy chair and on the table was a game of connect four but bigger. It all became very clear what that was for when a young lad challanged me to a game for 100 baht which is 2 quid. "Nope that's too much" (thinking I'd be kind and not take too much off this kid). Well, this young lad of about 10 whooped my ass and then proceeded to whoop the couple sitting next to me as well in just three rows, what a blast!
The original bridge over the river Kwai is no more, well there is a tiny bit in the museum but this is its big brother and the focus for many visitors which you can also walk across. A train still uses the bridge and did just that a just a few minutes after this piccy was taken.
Two guys in cerimonial costume at the museum. A bit tired these days but for less than a quid well worth an hour of anyones time.
This big mother was having a kip at the museum and has a face only a mother can love. I think he was eying me up for his supper.
Again the sadness that is war. This was actually a very serene and tranquil spot and I like to pay my respects to our heroes who aged from just 19 to 44 were killed such a long way from home. There are Dutch, Australian, Gurkha and New Zealand guys and girls here too and its difficult to keep a dry eye when you read some of the mesages on the graves.
We are now on beach week on Ko Phanagn, leaving port for pastures new, all excited to be having a holiday wihin a holiday and all with seperate rooms.....bliss
The sea and sky are blue, the pace is slow, the local people not the least bit pushy and very relaxed about their island life, well why wouldnt you be too.
So this is my prison for seven nights, what a bummer eh? Well I'm taking this for the team OK and suffering healthy breakfast of fresh fruit, museli and yogurt. BBQ snapper for supper and Rum n cokes pre and post dinner with Denis aahhhhh. Life is so hard and tiring too with the beach just yards away.
Should you want to suffer the same as Denis and I are at the resort of 11 bungalows, called Baan Mananli. Its run and managed by a great young Israeli couple who ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible and while I bang away at this blog in my hammock and watch the waves gently lap against the sand you may want to suffer the same as I am.........

No comments:

Post a Comment