Powered By Blogger

Welcome

This is Stevie's blog, just some stuff' about what I'm up to. I'm not too serious so hopefully we can have a laugh together..........

Pages

Saturday 18 June 2011

Kyrgistan n Chinese food........

This is a bit of an oldie of Dennis and I looking into the depths of hell that was the gas crater in Turkmenistan. It was sneakily taken by Mandy who has a very big camera and very long lens. So I'm happy to nick hers and anybody else's photos and put them on my blog - but only if I think they are up to scratch of course ha ha. Not too sure about the double chin developing there Stevie?

Along the long road that has become Uzbekistan we come across many ancient monuments built by the great sultans who had the fore site to build erm............a giant jelly mould should the poor go hungry? Hah, it was actually a very old but obviously refurbished well. Water in the desert is very valuable, so every effort was made to ensure that it was protected as the great caravans made their way to trade with the good and the great.

Me stroking a real lion at the 'Arc'. This was a huge palace built mostly of mud and straw in Bhukara. We had a really cool half day wondering around this old an ancient city with our new guide Merza (we get guides at most new countries. These guys are experts at local culture, give you a real in site to what life was like and also where to get the best beer in town too).


This was the remains of what used to be a huge mausoleum, I wish I could remember the name of this very important guy so I should take notes huh? But it was in Samerkand, another major town on the silk road and a great place to stay. The hotels we are staying in now have really raised the bar, are very comfortable and lay on some pretty cool breakfasts too.


We've now left Uzbek and have arrived in Azerbajan for two nights. We are only transiting through and the scenery is just amazing. Managed to capture this little be u tee with my little box brownie.


So the thunderstorm raged all evening and night as it happened but luckily for us, the storm was using us as a pivot and we didn't get nearly as much rain as we could have. I thought this sunset was pretty cool though as it peaked out through a gap in the clouds.


Arriving in Azerbaijan yesterday, its always a bit of a rush to find the best place to nosh, so the gang and I headed into town for Chinese (well you would wouldn't you). Typically, you have know idea what you maybe ordering, so its a bit of a guessing game when it arrives and last night was not lucky poker night for Stevie.........to say it was shite would have been an understatement and worst of all? I can still taste it this morning ugh.........


So I say a sad farewell to my tent buddy pal Paul who has had to return to old Blighty at short notice. We have shared some prickily times together and more great laughs than I can count. When you live with some one pretty much 24/7 you get to know them very well and of course they in turn get to know you. Its that bond between two people that help to make a great trip and Paul, you've helped a great deal to make mine a super one, I hope to see you back soon.











No comments:

Post a Comment